Probably one of the most pressing issues facing internet users today, are scammers and hackers. It's a problem everyone faces and we want to help you stay safe when purchasing and paying for goods on the internet.
There are a few basic things to look out for when visiting a site. I'll briefly go over them here:
- If it doesn't look right...When you visit a website and it just doesn't look right or you think it might not be secure, you should follow your instincts and leave the site. Here are some goods tips to follow before buying from a website
- Bank quality encryption: Look for the "s" in the "https" in the web address. This indicates that the site is encrypted and should be very safe. Dandashop.co.za uses a secured and encrypted site so you can visit us, and make secure payments, with piece of mind. We use Shopify's SSL(secure sockets layer) 128bit encryption, which is the same that banks use to secure all their online payments.
- Secure payment gateways:Look for secure payment options on the website you plan on buying from. All good e-commerce websites should have some form of secure payment gate, like Paypal, Payfast, etc. This allows you to buy goods from a site without your credit card details being stored on the site itself. Payment gateways like these store your information securely on their databases.
- Public computers: Don't use public computers when you make purchases or payments. Computers store information in the "cache" and this could store all your browsing history, key strokes and even login credentials, which could be accessed by the public.
- Security software: Make sure you have a good, reliable internet security protection software installed. There are various types available for very reasonable prices. Rather spend a few hundred Rand on Anti-malware/-spyware/-virus than loose big sums of money from someone breaking into your bank account. Reputable names are McAfee, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, etc. Here is a list of the top 15 best Antivirus software for 2016.
- Public WiFi: Don't use public WiFi unless it's through a secure VPN service. Hackers can access your information very easily over public WiFi.
There are of course a lot more to look out for than the mentioned points above but this should help you getting started. The best advice is this: trust your instincts! If it doesn't feel right, don't do it!!
Dandashop.co.za not only runs it's website on the most secure SSL encryption, we also offer various secure payment methods. We are also a verified Bid or Buy with a 100% positive rating from our buyers AND you have an automatic R2000 money back guarantee from Bid or Buy when buying from us through them!